IDOC is responsible for the incarceration and community supervision of felony offenders in Idaho. The Idaho Department of Correction's (IDOC) mission is to Protect Idaho through Safety, Accountability, Partnerships and Opportunities for Offender Change. The safe operating capacity of the department's eight prisons and four community work centers, along with the state-owned, privately-managed Idaho Correctional Center and Correctional Alternative Placement Program is 7,460 beds.
IDOC employs about 1,500 people. Most of them are correctional officers and probation and parole officers. They are all certified peace officers and train at the Peace Officer Standards Training Academy in Meridian.
IDOC comprises two divisions – the Operations Division and the Management Services Division. Each division is led by a chief who is named by the director. The Operations Division chief is responsible for the incarceration and community supervision of offenders. The Management Services Division chief is responsible for human resource services, fiscal services, information technology, construction and contract monitoring and contract administration.
On April 20th, the state reached a milestone. Idaho’s inmate population went over 8,000 for the first time. After successfully controlling growth for four years, the prison population has increased more than 400 inmates this fiscal year. Idaho’s inmate population grew 425 inmates during the first ten months of FY12. During the previous four years, the population grew a total of 221 inmates. County jails are helping manage the increases.
Kit Carson Correctional Center (KCCC) is a 1488-bed medium custody correctional facility located in Burlington, Colorado, approximately 165 miles east of Denver and a 12 hour drive from Boise, Idaho. Built in 1998 and expanded in 2008, the facility is owned and operated by Correction Corporation of America (CCA), and will house Idaho offenders separately from Colorado offenders currently at the facility. CCA also operates Idaho Correctional Center (ICC) south of Boise.
- Pre-Sentence Assistance
- Sentencing Advocacy & Assistance
- Reception Center/Designation Assistance
- Programs Eligibility Assessment
- Good Time & Incentive Credit Strategies
- Community Re-Entry Assistance
- Early Parole Eligibility
- Probation Assistance
- Commutations of Sentence
- Pardon Petition
- Sex Offender Registration & Notifications
- Adult Basic Education / General Education Development (ABE/GED)
- Career and Technical/Vocational/Trades Education Programs
- Mental Health
- Substance Abuse
- Family Reunification
- Community Work Center Facilities
- Sex Offender Treatment
- Substance Abuse Programs
- Pre-release Programs
- Faith Based Programs
- Correctional Alternative Placement Program (CAPP)
- Idaho Correctional Center (ICC)
- Idaho Maximum Security Institution (IMSI)
- South Boise Women's Correctional Center (SBWCC)
- South Idaho Correctional Institution (SICI)
- North Idaho Correctional Institution (NICI)
- Idaho Correctional Institution-Orofino (ICIO)
- Pocatello Women's Correctional Center (PWCC)
- St. Anthony Work Camp (SAWC)
- Kit Carson Correctional Center (KCCC)