The Minnesota Department of Corrections was created in 1959 to consolidate state correctional functions into one agency. A service and regulatory agency, the department has a broad scope of activities and responsibilities.
The department currently operates ten correctional facilities including eight for adults and two for juveniles. For adult offenders, a five-level classification system reflects the necessary level of control for offenders classified in each designation. The department continues to plan for an increasing prison population, based on projections determined by the agency and the Sentencing Guidelines Commission.
Adult prison populations total more than 9,400 inmates; juvenile residents number around 150. Department agents supervise about 20,000 adult and juvenile offenders on probation, supervised release, and parole. Through the state Community Corrections Act, the department also administers subsidy funds to units of local government for corrections programs.
The commissioner of corrections, Tom Roy, is responsible for operation of adult and juvenile state correctional facilities; provision of probation, supervised release, and parole services; administration of the state Community Corrections Act; and provision of assistance and guidance on a statewide basis in the management of criminal justice programs and facilities.
- Pre-Sentence Assistance
- Sentencing Advocacy & Assistance
- Reception Center/Designation Assistance
- Programs Eligibility Assessment
- Good Time & Incentive Credit Strategies
- Community Re-Entry Assistance
- Early Parole Eligibility
- Probation Assistance
- Commutations of Sentence
- Pardon Petition
- Sex Offender Registration & Notifications
- Adult Basic Education / General Education Development (ABE/GED)
- Extensive Post/Secondary/Career/Technical Educational College/Programs
- Re-entry Program
- Alcohol & Drug Abuse Programs
- Sex Offender Treatment Center
- Portage Chemical Dependency Treatment
- Challenge Incarceration Program (CIP) (Boot Camp)
- Faith Based Programs
- Minnesota Correctional Facility-Faribault
- Minnesota Correctional Facility-Lino Lakes
- Minnesota Correctional Facility-Oak Park Heights
- Minnesota Correctional Facility-Rush City
- Minnesota Correctional Facility-St. Cloud
- Minnesota Correctional Facility-Shakopee
- Minnesota Correctional Facility-Stillwater
- MCF-Willow River/Moose Lake
- Minnesota Correctional Facility-Red Wing